I am super excited to present this guest post to you from my friend Mandy at Happy Living Vegan! While I am not sure I could ever give up dairy and meat (I love me some cheese), I have been wanting to try some vegan recipes and her site is full of great looking ones! This one looks particularly delicious! Be sure to check her out and to follow her on Facebook!
Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Quinoa Burrito
The quickest and best burritos I’ve ever made. The filling is so good I ate it on it’s own. It would also make a great chip dip! You could also try using butternut squash or pumpkin as a way to change up the filling…hmmm that’s a great idea for Thanksgiving. (Wow, it’s August and I’m already thinking about Thanksgiving. Pathetic.)
Yield: 2 large burritos or 2 cups filling
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed & boiled (I leave peel on, but feel free to remove peel)
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 handfuls spinach (or green of choice)
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
- 3 drops hot sauce
- 1/4 cup black beans cooked (or canned)
- 1/4 cup Daiya Cheese (optional but delicious)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tortilla wraps ( I only used one but remember I’m only cooking for one!)
- 1. Start by rinsing the sweet potato and cutting it into 1/2 inch cubes. In a medium pot bring 1 quart water to boil and add sweet potato. Boil on medium until potato is fork tender (about 15 minutes).
2. In a separate pot bring 1/2 cup water to boil and add quinoa and spinach. Simmer on low-med covered until water is absorbed (about 12 minutes).
3. When sweet potato is fork tender, drain water and mash potato with a fork (or potato masher) until chunks are gone (or leave a few if you prefer). Add cooked black beans, cheese, garlic and spices. When quinoa is finished, add to pot with sweet potato and beans and stir. Taste and add more spices if needed.
4. If you haven’t eaten all of the potato filling with a spoon already, add it to tortilla along with desired toppings (avocado & vegan sour cream would be excellent). Wrap and serve. I paired mine with my favorite Blue Corn Flax Seed Chips from Archer Farms or others from Amazon. Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap or as chip dip or a salad topper.